History, Principles, and Values
- “Cooperative Principles Updated,” by Ann Hoyt, available on p. 14 in the Reader.
- “Rochdale Pioneers and the Cooperative Principles,” by Brett Fairbairn. From The Meaning of Rochdale: the Rochdale Pioneers and the co-operative principles, (Canada: Centre for the Study of Co-operatives, University of Saskatchewan), 1994.
- Collective Courage: A History of African American Cooperative Economic Thought and Practice, Jessica Gordon Nembhard.
- History of Cooperatives, from the University of Wisconsin Center for Cooperatives.
- ICA statement on principles and Values, www.ica.coop
- Discovered Truth: A healthcare Journey. PBS.org, 8/15/2019
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
“Precautions and Protections: Summarizing legal responsibilities of cooperative boards” by Thane Joyal, Dave Swanson. Cooperative Grocer Magazine, Issue #153 Mar-Apr, 2011
Minute Taking Essentials – CBLD Field Guide, by Michael Healy, Jan. 9, 2013
- Articles in your reader:
- The Board’s Leadership Challenges and Policy Governance Simplified (pg. 45)
- Policy Governance Quick Guide (pg. 46)
- The Ten Principles of Policy Governance (pg. 48)
- Monitoring the Manager (pg. 51)
- Columinate webinar: Policy Governance Deep Dive (offered quarterly)
- “Three Strategic Concepts for the Guidance of Co-operatives” by Brett Fairbairn
- “Building Board Capacity to Lead Through Multimodal Governance” by Leslie Watson
- “Precautions and Preventions” by Thane Joyal and Dave Swanson, Cooperative Grocer Magazine, March 5, 2011
- Financial Training for Directors webinar series, Brittany Baird & Leslie Watson (Available to co-ops enrolled in the CBLD program)
- In the Columinate Library:
- Fairbairn, Brett. “Three Strategic Concepts for the Guidance of Co-operatives.” Available at icdc.coop
- Mayer, Bruce, Peg Nolan and Steve Wolfe. “Accounting Best Practices for Food Co-ops: A Primer.”
- NCG annual Participation Report
- Tracy, John A., and Tage C. Tracy. “How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers”, 8th ed. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ, 2014.
Have more questions?
Get in touch with one of our consultants.